For Students who want to be in our lab
※ Introduction to this lab. [Link to PDF]
Research style and tools in our lab
Our research mostly uses some of following tools, and (possibly) highly requires a certain of their background skills and knowledge. Anyways, I believe that the most important thing is the motivation to ‘continuously’ study these tools. (Even I need to study hard and hard for nicer research!)
- First of all, English. Cutting edge papers are always written and published in English. We mostly refer to English litertures even textbooks.
- Mathematics, especially ‘linear algebra’, ‘group/ring/field theory’, ‘probability theory’, etc. We use mathematics everywhere to define the security problem, build the solution to the problem, and prove the security of the solution.
- Basics of coding theory, information theory, computational theory and cryptography in order to build the basic component of security-related networking and computational architecture.
- Knowledge on ‘networking architecture’ including the architecture of the Internet, and ‘system of digital communication’. e.g., TCP/IP, DNS, Wi-Fi system, etc.
Environments to research
- Unix-like systems: We shall use *NIX (Linux, BSD, etc.) for almost all research activities, e.g., calculation, computing, building Proof-of-Concept systems, writing papers, presentation, etc. This is because most of architectural elements in network systems adopt *NIX systems.
- LaTeX: We mostly use LaTeX to write papers and make presentation slides for better visualized mathematical expressions. If possible, we shall make our papers, slides and their sources public.
- Modern tools and cloud services: We import approaches in modern ‘software development’ to our research activities, and use software development tools and cloud services to accelerate our ‘online-collaborative’ research work. we shall use Git (and GitHub), AWS/Azure/GCP, VPS (virtual private server), CI (continuous integration services like CircleCI) etc.
[Back to top page]